Thursday, June 12, 2008

Graphic Arts Exhibit at AI

A couple months ago I paid a long overdue visit to the Art Institute. Near the end of my walkthrough I discovered the museum's first ever exhibition devoted solely to graphic design. Being that this is one of my primary interests in fields of art I was ecstatic to see that it featured works that I had just been reading about that very week! Graphic Thought Facility is a well known British design firm progressively bringing innovations in print publishing, packaging, brand identity, product, and exhibit design. Having landed in the packaging industry for the past 5 years, I take particular note of the MeBox organizational storage system. Its exactly the kind of creative twist I would like to bring to my design department and say, "Hey! Why don't we do cool stuff like this?"

One designer I am familiar with is Tord Boontje whose distinct designs were featured in Target stores during the 2006 holiday season. The careful research and development of his work has resulted in 13 awards including Best Lighting Design, Innovation Prize for Textile Design, and Product Designer of the Year. He is, I believe, an inspiration to artists and designers of all facets.

No comments: